Demise of like the English Language

20:42, Posted by Q's Leagal Plea of Insanity, No Comment

So I was watching the news this morning before rolling out of bed and there was a segment on back to school and retail. They then decided to interview a few shoppers and retailers on what they are planning on getting.

They were interviewing the manager of one of the stores who happened to be a university grad when I noticed it... the demise and degradation of the English language. I mean, I expect people to have a certain level of poise and articulateness, especially university grads.

What got my goat? What got me rattled? The fact that this person, a university grad that was saving to go into her masters in political science could not put together a sentence without the use of the word "like." Not a single sentence could be put together without the word like being thrown in at least two or three times A SENTENCE!

I started to count the number of times this word was uttered and was contemplating whether or not to write this person off as: (a) being nervous or (b) a complete and utter tool; that is when I started thinking of the number of times I have stopped people mid-story, to ask them to put together a sentence or the rest of the story without the word "like." Not trying to be an ass here but when was there a law passed that said that the word like needs to be uttered every fourth word?

As the reporter interviewing her, I would probably have beaten her with the microphone or done something odd..."like" meowing or barking every time the word like was uttered: "Oh, is that distracting? I'm sorry you defecating on the English language is rather distracting as well! Tell you what, you stop taking a dump in my ear and I will stop humping your leg because both are rather distracting."

You think I am exaggerating? Next time you are chatting with someone and they are telling you a story, count the number of times and the context the word is used. Hell, meow every time they use the word.

Something to ponder: would you want this person to represent your organization? If not, check your like count too. One like every third sentence used as in a simile or metaphor are acceptable. Any more than that and as a conjunction, prefix, interjection, etc, give 'em a meow.

The legal pleas of insanity of the mind formerly known as Q

No Comment